Saturday 18 February 2017

A DIFFERENT VIEW - Mini-Series Part 3 - MALAYSIA

Malaysia is split between two land masses. West - or Peninsular - Malaysia is sandwiched between Thailand and Singapore. East Malaysia lies on the island of Borneo and shares that huge island with Indonesia and Brunei.

Malaysia's capital, Kuala Lumpur on the peninsular, is regularly depicted by the iconic Petronas Towers. 



All very dramatic, but let's travel east across the peninsular for a different view.

















Now, let's cross the South China Sea to Borneo for another view - 
and I'm not referring to Malaysia's most famous ape, the orang-utan. You can see my orang-utan photos from last April's A-Z Challenge: O is for Orang-utan.


Away from the sophistication of Kuala Lumpur, and the jungles of Borneo where a few wild orang-utans still survive lies a world of tiny islands, with white beaches the texture of talcum powder, shimmering under a hot sun.











Kota Kinabalu


For me, the biggest attraction of East Malaysia's city of Kota Kinabalu was the wonderful, friendly locals.

I can almost taste those barbecued fish.








Kota Kinabalu



Before you ask, I have to confess I can't tell you what they were grinding. If anyone knows, do tell!















Please let me know if you've enjoyed this post. I'll reply to all comments when I return from my travels in March.




7 comments:

  1. Great photos. I especially liked the one of the two towers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I struggled a bit to try to photograph the towers in an interesting way, so I'm glad you liked my effort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that I'm home and back online I see that comments have dwindled dramatically while I've been inactive!
    I'm going to have to get to work to rekindle peoples' interest in my blog posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely way of recording and sharing your travels, Susan.

    Thank you for taking us on holiday with you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent photos and commentary. Might the 'girls' be grinding Cassava? 'Tis, as you might know, a staple food for many Asian groups.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Paige. Yes, cassava is a possibility. :)

    ReplyDelete

Many thanks for commenting. I appreciate your feedback.